The Blockchain Academy is an educational institution that enables individuals, entrepreneurs, developers, and organisations to learn about the innovative potential of bitcoin and blockchain technology. Founded in 2015 and based in Cape Town, the Blockchain Academy offers training courses on cryptocurrencies, the blockchain, and their future applications to attendees in South Africa and Zimbabwe.
Demystifying Bitcoin and Blockchain Technology
Despite growing global recognition of bitcoin and its underlying technology, the blockchain, there is still a lot of confusion about the nature of bitcoin and how it works. To address this uncertainty, the Blockchain Academy was formed to help people understand how the technology can be used to develop innovative systems and processes for businesses, as well as how to use it to create their own applications to handle various functions.
The training courses are tailored to meet the needs of attendees from different professional backgrounds such as operations and treasury professionals, compliance and accounting, finance, technology, legal and market professionals. The sessions usually run for a full day and clients can choose the mode of training they prefer, either on-site training, classroom training or online training.
Classroom sessions are provided at the Academy offices in Bandwidth Barn, in Woodstock, Cape Town, and AlphaCode Club in Sandton, Johannesburg. Clients can also enroll for online training on the Academy’s website, as well as participate in sessions via Google Hangout.
Presently, there are five courses being offered at the Academy, catering to bitcoin newcomers, developers, and financial institutions. They include:
- Bitcoin and Blockchain Beginner course: This course targets those new to cryptocurrencies and blockchain technology, and covers the basics of bitcoin technology, its development and adoption worldwide.
- Blockchain Advanced course: The course strives to further explain concepts about bitcoin and the blockchain outlined in the initial course.
- Blockchain for Developers Course: The course aims to deepen understanding of the blockchain and help enable one to develop applications on it.
- Blockchain for Financial institutions Course: The course provides participants with insight on how organisations are leveraging blockchain technology and its possible uses.
- Ethereum Beginner Course: This course is intended for people who want to learn more about Ethereum and how it can be used to develop smart contract applications.
Moving into New Markets
The Bitcoin Academy has so far held its educational courses in South Africa, Zimbabwe, and India. In March 2017, the Blockchain Academy announced that it is partnering up with the Satoshi Centre to provide bitcoin education in Botswana through a course that was held in May. But the Blockchain Academy is not stopping there.
Talking to BitcoinAfrica.io about the future of the Blockchain Academy, the company’s founder and Managing Director, Sonya Kuhnel, told us:
“The Blockchain Academy […] is thrilled about all the global interest in cryptocurrencies and blockchain technology.Our recent partnership with Anglo African in Mauritius, and our training provided to the Central Bank of Swaziland are significant steps towards expanding into other countries. Our new online training programs are also an important part of offering our courses to as many people as possible.This is a very exciting space to be involved in and provides many opportunities for incumbents and individuals to experiment with this emerging and disruptive technology.