The second-largest cryptocurrency by market cap, ether (ETH), has become a popular addition to bitcoin in many digital asset portfolios. In this guide, you will discover a list of five exchanges that enable you to buy Ethereum in South Africa in 2021.
Coindirect is the first cryptocurrency exchange on our list where you can buy Ethereum in South Africa. Founded in 2017, Coindirect allows users to buy and sell more than 40 cryptocurrencies like BTC, ETH, USDT, XRP, and LTC using their local currencies.
Accepted payment methods include Visa, Mastercard, PayPal, and mobile money. To buy ether in South Africa, simply create an account and deposit ZAR. You can also buy ETH on the marketplace or convert coins you already own to ETH.
- Mobile app available for Android and iOS
- Coindirect is available in other African countries such as Nigeria, Burkina Faso, and Kenya
- Offers a ZAR to ETH calculator
- No additional fees on EFT transactions
Leading crypto exchange Luno is one of the top exchanges to buy Ethereum in South Africa. On this platform, you can buy ETH instantly with ZAR or you can place an ETH buy order at your desired price. Besides ETH, Luno also supports BTC and BCH.
The payment method you can use to buy ETH in South Africa on Luno is electronic funds transfer (EFT). Luno accepts rand deposits from several South African banks such as Nedbank and Absa.
- Offers an Android and iOS app
- The platform has a ZAR to ETH calculator
- EFT transactions are free
- Luno is also available in Zambia, Uganda, and Nigeria
iCE3X is another exchange to buy ether in South Africa. The exchange accepts ZAR deposits through bank transfers. Some of the accepted banks include Absa, Nedbank, Standard Bank, and Capitec.
iCE3X supports ETH, BTC, BCH, LTC, XRP, among other cryptocurrencies. You can purchase ether instantly or through a buy order.
The exchange was launched in 2013.
- A ZAR to ETH calculator is available
- The exchange offers an Android app
- No fees for ZAR deposits made through EFT
- The platform is also available in Nigeria
You can also buy Ethereum in South Africa on the Johannesburg-based exchange VALR. The exchange allows users to buy Ethereum instantly or through a buy order. To purchase ETH, you can deposit rand via EFT from any South African bank.
VALR supports over 50 cryptocurrencies including ETH, BTC, BCH, LTC, and XMR.
- Android and iOS mobile app
- ZAR to ETH calculator
- The platform is only available in South Africa
- Rand deposits are free
Finally, you can also purchase ETH on the Cape Town-based crypto exchange OVEX. Established in 2017, OVEX enables users to buy ETH instantly or through a buy order.
To buy ETH, you need to first purchase BTC using rand. Once you have BTC in your wallet, you can then buy ether. OVEX supports more than 20 cryptocurrencies, such as BTC, ETH, LINK, ADA, QTUM, and TRX.
- Only available in South Africa
- It offers a crypto calculator
With more and more crypto exchanges accepting rand deposits, buying Ethereum in South Africa is becoming increasingly more convenient.
If you are a South African investor who wants to buy bitcoin, check out our guide to South African bitcoin exchanges.