Best Bitcoin Exchanges for Africans
If you are new to cryptocurrency investing and want to place your first trade but are unsure where to start, you have come to the right place. In this guide, you will discover the best bitcoin exchanges for Africans to buy bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies using local currency in 2021.
Coindirect is a new cryptocurrency trading platform that is currently available in 24 countries, including Kenya, Nigeria, and South Africa. The platform allows users to buy and sell bitcoin (BTC) and more than 30 altcoins, such as Cardano (ADA), Dash (DASH), and Monero (XMR). In addition, the peer-to-peer exchange offers Escrow-protected transactions with transparent fees.
The platform enables users to carry out their transactions using local currencies while offering 24/7 access to their site.
How to buy bitcoin on Coindirect:
- Open coindirect.com on your browser and select your country.
- Create an account by signing up for free.
- The platform will then prompt you to go through the Know Your Customer (KYC) process, where you are required to upload a selfie with your ID, a photo of your ID, and proof of address.
- You will also need to fill out your personal details. For cash withdrawals, add a bank account. You will also need to add a payment method for peer-to-peer payments.
- Click on wallets to buy or receive BTC. You can also access the convert, send, and sell options under this tab.
- Select the peer-to-peer option at the top of the page to start trading.
Luno is a global crypto exchange available in Nigeria, Zambia, Uganda, and South Africa. On the platform, users can buy bitcoin, ethereum, litecoin, and ripple. Also, Luno offers a learning portal where users can learn about cryptocurrencies.
The cryptocurrency exchange allows users to make payments in their local currencies. For instance, South African users that bank with Absa, Standard Bank, Ned Bank, and FNB can make deposits to their local currency wallets through online banking. Note that payment methods could differ from country to country.
To purchase bitcoin on Luno, follow the steps below.
- Visit https://www.luno.com or download the Luno Android or iOS app
- Create an account. You will receive a cryptocurrency and local currency wallet
- Verify your identity through the KYC process
- Deposit money in your local currency wallet
- Click “Buy Bitcoin” to make your purchase and follow the prompts
- After a few minutes, you will have bitcoin in your crypto wallet. You can store it there or transfer it to another wallet.
Paxful is another popular peer-to-peer bitcoin trading platform that is accessible to Africans. The platform enables users to buy, sell, spend, and accept bitcoin.
Trading on Paxful takes place online via live chat while transactions are handled with secure Escrow. The platform is available in Nigeria, South Africa, Kenya, Mozambique, Mauritius, Algeria, Egypt, Rwanda, among other African nations.
The platform provides more than 300 payment methods such as bank transfer, Western Union, PayPal, VISA, Mastercard, and MoneyGram. The Paxful marketplace has 1.7 million monthly active users globally and is thus able to provide decent liquidy for bitcoin traders.
To buy bitcoin on Paxful, follow the following steps:
- Sign up for a free account and wallet on https://paxful.com. You can also begin by clicking browse bitcoin offers before creating an account.
- Confirm your email address and your phone number then enter the basic information required.
- Improve your account’s security by adding two-factor authentication.
- To buy bitcoin from the platform, enter your preferred amount and then select a currency and payment method. Once done, search for an offer and execute the trade using your preferred payment option.
- Once completed, you will receive your BTC in your wallet on Paxful.
Quidax is one of Africa’s leading cryptocurrency exchanges that enables investors to buy and sell Bitcoin (BTC), Tether (USDT), Ether (ETH), and other cryptocurrencies using local currency.
The exchange opened its doors in 2018 and has become particularly popular among bitcoin traders in Nigeria due to launching with the naira (NGN) as its first supported fiat currency. More local fiat currencies will follow soon.
Currently, the exchange enables investors to buy, sell, and hold BTC, USDT, ETH, TRX, LTC, DASH, and XRP. Moreover, the exchange also has an iOS and Android app.
Here is how you can buy bitcoin on Quidax:
- Register for an account on Quidax.com using your name and email address.
- Choose a secure password and confirm your account registration via the confirmation email.
- Deposit funds into your account via a credit card, debit card or a bank transfer.
- Place a bitcoin buy order or “instant buy”
- Once the trade is executed, you will receive your purchased BTC in your Quidax wallet.
Remitano is an escrowed peer-to-peer bitcoin exchange where users can also buy and sell Ether (ETH), Bitcoin Cash (BCH), and Tether USDT.
The Remitano platform is a product of Babylon Solutions Limited incorporated in Seychelles. The platform is available in Nigeria, Kenya, and South Africa, among other countries.
Remitano has an easy-to-use interface, which makes buying and selling BTC on the platform fast and simple. Supported payment methods include bank transfers and mobile money transactions such as M-Pesa in Kenya.
Here is how you can buy bitcoin on Remitano:
- Register for a free account at https://remitano.com by typing your email address and following the prompt.
- Click on your profile to submit your phone number and upload the required KYC documents.
- Add two-factor authentication to make your account secure.
- Once you are done, you can begin trading by searching for advertisements under the buy/sell BTC section.
- Once the trade is completed, you receive your BTC in your Remitano wallet.
For more details on the best bitcoin buying options in the main African bitcoin markets, please check our “How to Buy Bitcoin” guides for Kenya, Nigeria, South Africa, and Zimbabwe.
To learn more about Bitcoin, download the Bitcoin Beginner’s Handbook for free.