Netflix is one of the most viewed entertainment streaming platforms globally. In Kenya, the US-based streaming platform has grown in popularity too. In this guide, you will learn how to pay for Netflix via MPESA.
Netflix Payment Options
Currently, Netflix only allows payments to be made via debit/credit card or PayPal. Most Kenyans are used to making payments using MPESA. Therefore, the lack of MPESA as one of Netflix’s accepted payment options can be an inconvenience to many Kenyan users.
However, you can still pay for your Netflix account via MPESA using the below hack.
Netflix Subscription Plans in Kenya
Netflix tries to be an all-inclusive platform. This, it does by creating affordable plans for its subscribers. In Kenya, for example, they have three plans – basic, standard, and premium. Although these plans vary slightly from one region to another, they are largely the same.
- Basic Plan
The Basic Plan costs Ksh. 700 per month. With this plan, you can only watch on one device at a time. In addition, you will only be able to stream in standard definition (480p).
- Standard Plan
The Standard Plan costs Ksh. 950 per month. This plan enables you to stream content in Full HD (1080p) as well as watch from two devices at a time.
- Premium Plan
The Premium Plan costs Ksh. 1,200 per month. With this plan, you can watch on four devices at a time. Moreover, you will be able to enjoy great video quality in Ultra HD (4K) and HDR.
How to Sign Up for Netflix if You Don’t Have an Account
If you don’t have a Netflix account, you can sign up for one by following the below steps:
- Go to Netflix.com on your preferred device
- Choose the subscription plan that suits your needs
- On the payment option, you have the option of choosing between PayPal of Credit/Debit card options.
- Netflix will extend a free 30-day trial once you sign up. This will allow you to try out the content on the platform. You can opt-out before the 30-days lapse if you don’t want to continue the subscription.
How to Pay for Your Netflix Account via MPESA
Although Netflix is yet to introduce MPESA as a payment option, you can still pay for your Netflix subscription via the aforementioned payment service. To do this, you will need to have a PayPal account.
Below are the steps that you will need to follow to be able to pay for your Netflix account via MPESA:
- Log in to your PayPal account. In case you don’t have a PayPal account, you can sign up for one in a matter of minutes.
- Once you have opened a PayPal account, proceed to link it to your MPESA account. This process will take a few minutes.
- Transfer the funds needed to pay for your Netflix plan to your PayPal account. The funds will automatically be sent to your PayPal account.
- If you had selected your payment plan as a credit/debit card option, you can simply change this to PayPal by going to your Netflix account settings.
In recent years, Netflix’s subscriptions and viewership numbers have continued to grow steadily in the African continent. This has been fuelled by access to fast and affordable Internet across the continent. Given the subscription numbers in Kenya, it will probably only be a matter of time before Netflix considers adding MPESA as a payment option for their services in the region.